Boxers often wonder how they can become better counter-punchers. Boxing training is all about drilling these counters over and over.
Here’s how Canelo lands a great counter-right on Cotto.
- Canelo has Cotto’s jab timed so that he knows when to react.
- Canelo drops his hips and loads his weight on the back foot.
- Canelo explodes using his legs and turns his elbow slightly upward so that the punch lands over Cotto’s left shoulder.
- Canelo drives through the punch but remains on balance.
This punch nearly floored Cotto; it would have easily dropped most boxers.
At Boxing at the Depot we practice this counter-punch in several ways:
- On the focus mitts.
- In controlled sparring with many different opponents.
- On the double-end bag.